Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Time for Reflection

Today we are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving-it is actually tomorrow Oct 13 but we are doing the big turkey meal with family and friends today.
So many things have happened this past year it is hard to find enough words for everything.
Last year around this time I found out my youngest son was moving from my home in Calgary all away across the country to Ontario---and I was totally devastated! Words cannot describe how I felt as we have become quite close the past few years. I sucked it up (as I had no choice in the matter), counselled as best I could with the job situation back east and his father's cancer and sent him on his way in Jan /08 with his girlfriend. My eldest son Matthew was also quite stricken and I still choke up when I remember what he wrote on Facebook about Marc leaving.

They had barely been gone a month when their father(my ex-husband) passed away after a long battle with cancer. Marc did not want to see him dieing in the hospital, so did not come until I brought him home for the funeral. Was a hard time for my boys for sure but they were able to reconnect with some of their family that they had not seen for awile.

Tymon flew up from Seattle area with one of his boys Jett to attend his grandpa's funeral, as well as their 1/2 brother Stan Jr and 1/2 sister Lynn who actually live in Calgary, and Lyndon(nephew) but they never see. Funny history...my boys are actually Tymon's and Lyndon's Uncles-but they are a lot younger!

Marc and his girlfriend decided to move back to Calgary(yup-one happy mama!)
My boys did a road trip this summer and stayed with Tymon's family in the Seattle area.
My good friends split up after 16 years of marriage.
I broke my foot and spent the summer on crutches.
Our wonderful, faithful, loyal terripoo-Ricoh whom we have had since he was 3 months old had to be put down on Aug 29 at 15 3/4 years old...the day before Marc's 20th birthday. Matthew and Marc were with me during the tough time at the vet and they took charge and brought Ricoh home and he is now buried in a wonderful spot in our backyard.

Then our very own Tymon loses his 15 month old son Evan on Sept 23. We went to the funeral and cried alongside the rest of the family, but then we all got together in the evening for what I feel was the start of healing time for everyone. I got to see people whom I have known since they were little children and whom I still consider my family even though I have been divorced for 19 years and have not personally seen them for years or met their families(exception being Tymon and Jett, and of course Lyndon).I was blown away when I was welcomed into their homes and I felt they still consider me a Johns. At Evan's funeral it was the first time in the 4 years since I changed my name back to my maiden name that I wished it was still the same.
Bridget and Tymon's new baby girl was born days later on Mon Sept 29 and we all rejoiced.

I want my boys to reconnect with their direct family so I figured the only way this is going to happen is if I do something about it--that is why we are having the "big" dinner......(hey-the best layed plans tend to fall apart!) My oldest son is in Saskatchewan with his girlfriend...but I will be doing this again soon.

So, that is my reflection of the past year...some bad times and some good times all mixed in. We recently got to see Sir Elton John, and Neil Diamond in the famous Calgary Saddledome. I got to see Martina McBride and Johnny Reid(saw him twice!), and this upcoming week we are going to see David Copperfield.
So, I have so much to be thankful for, but most especially for my family.

1 comment:

Tymon said...

It really is amazing how many times our families crossed paths this year. I'm glad we were able to see you and bond a bit this year. Hope to do the same next year, just under better circumstances.