Saturday, December 13, 2008

Snowstorm in Calgary

Well, this is the second huge snow dump in 7 days for poor Calgary! UGH and double UGH!!! Lesson to self....never ever ever again buy a house in Calgary with a huge driveway no matter how nice the house is!!(Unless of course I have a big strong guy with a snowblower to clear it). In total my driveway can hold 9 cars so I do indeed believe it is quite large. It is a single lane going from the street up to the house and that can hold 3 compact cars and from there to the garage it expands to 2 large lanes wide and can hold 6 cars easily.We have had so much snow in the past week I am running out of room for it. Lots of people are starting to pile snow on the street in front of their homes. For me that would be far too much work to get it down to the street so I guess I will just keep piling it up the fence. If this keeps up I most likely will lose part of the double wide area of the driveway and go down to a single lane.I guess the good news is that we definetly will have a white Christmas in Calgary so the little kidlets will be happy. Mind you as I type this it is -27C with a windchill making if feel like -37C,and tomorrow we will go all the way up to -26C, windchill making it -29C. OOOOOHHHH, lucky us!More flurries by Wed so I think I will be getting my excercise this week.
Funny thing, a lady a couple of houses down from me got stuck in my next door neighbors driveway this morning. By the time I noticed her, she had been out there an hour-first digging her car out on the street and then attempting to drive on the road. She figured out she wasn't going anywhere so decided to try to turn around in the neighbors driveway where she got stuck big time.She was quite upset and frustrated with her car that she has only owned 3 months, it is a standard and she most obviously did not have a lot of experience with using the gears.She said she had used up almost 1/4 tank of gas.Not only that-her tires were darn near bald, not a good thing to have on a car in Calgary this time of the year.She was basically useless when I was attempting to get the car "rocking" no matter how much explaining I did and finally another neighbor came to help also. Eventually he asked if I could drive a standard and I can, so I took over. Weird thing is, she just stood on the road in the snow watching Tom pushing and rocking the car as we attempted to park in back in her original spot.I finally asked her to help but we got it done before she did.She was very grateful and sorry for causing a problem. No worry, back to my house I went to shovel more snow from my very long driveway(see 1st paragraph...gggrrrr)and she comes running up and asked if she could give me a hug for helping her out. She was on the verge of a total breakdown as she hugged me and said she has had a horrible past 2 months and I rightly assumed this was just putting her over the edge.So here I was judging this poor soul who has been through a nightmare recently.I found out this aft from a different neighbor that her mother died a couple of months ago.Another lesson to self-quit being so judgemental!!!

No comments: